Wirral man accused of plotting to blow up mosques to stand trial next year. Oxton man appears in court charged under terror laws

The Old Bailey in London
The Old Bailey in London

A terrorism suspect has been accused of plotting to blow up two Merseyside mosques with homemade explosives mixed with nails and ball bearings.

Wirral man Ian Charles Forman, 41,  appeared at the Old Bailey, in London,  charged with the preparation of terrorist acts after police raided his home  in July.

Forman, of Shavington Avenue, Oxton, allegedly downloaded pictures of  the  mosques, labelled them “targets”  and expressed an intention of “blowing them up”.

 His alleged targets were the Wirral  Islamic Centre, in Birkenhead, and the  Penny Lane Mosque, in Mossley Hill.

Forman is also accused of  making  and testing improvised explosive devices, having quantities of potassium  nitrate, sulphur and charcoal and  creating spreadsheets for the prices of  chemicals needed to assemble  homemade bombs.

Dressed in a grey, striped shirt and  supported by his wife and brother  watching in the public gallery, Forman  spoke only to confirm his name as the  details of the charge were put to  him.

The charge, under the Terrorism  Act 2006, accuses him of having “in  your possession potassium nitrate,  sulphur, and charcoal; made lists for  required components; created spreadsheets reflecting prices and stockists  of the chemicals required; made and  tested improvised explosive devices;  made and tested black powder; researched mosques and Islamic centres  in the local area, saved photographs of  them labelling them as ‘targets’, and  expressed your intention of ‘blowing  them up’ with the use of ‘nails and ball  bearings’.”

 Forman, a former civil servant, was  first arrested on June 7 when bomb  disposal experts, an Army explosive  ordnance disposal squad and police  teams were called to Shavington  Avenue.

 He was charged in September with  “engaging in conduct in preparation  of terrorist Acts”.

 He appeared at Westminster Magistrates’ Court – where all the country’s terrorism-related cases are  initially heard – on September 7 where  he was remanded into custody.

Yesterday, Mr Justice Sweeney rejected an application for bail.

Forman will be produced in court  again to enter a plea to the charge on  January 14 and the judge set a provisional trial date for March 3 next  year, at a location yet to be determined.

A spokesman for the North West  Counter Terrorism Unit said: “A man  was charged as part of an investigation into possible chemical and explosive substances.

“The investigation related to  concerns about chemical and explosive substances at a house in Wirral.”

No pleas were entered at yesterday’s hearing.

From The Liverpool Echo . 27.09.2013


Comments are closed.

%d bloggers like this: